Posted on July 15th, 2016 by UNM CC
M. Fero — 3/13/98
L-lysine coated glass cover slips or charged glass slides
Neutral Buffered Formalin (Sigma HT50-128)
0.5% NP40 in PBS
(2.5 N HCl or 0.07 N NaOH for BrDU staining only)
Primary and secondary antibodies
Vectashield (Vector Labs)
- Grow cells on L-lysine coated glass slips or cytospin cells onto charged glass slides.
- Fix cells for 5 min. in neutral buffered formalin.
- Permeabilize the nucleus by incubating in 0.5% NP40 in PBS at r.t.
- Rinse in 3 changes of PBS for a total of 10 minutes.
- For BrDU staining denature the DNA by one of the following:
- soak in 2.5N HCl at 37°C for 15 min, or
- 0.07N NaOH for 2 min at room temp
- Add 100 µL primary antibody (titer determined emperically ~10x the concentration used in a western). Cover with a glass slip and place in a humidified chamber at r.t. for 1 hr.
- Float the coverslip off by dipping into a jar of PBS, and rinse as in 4).
- Add secondary antibody as in 5) and 6) above. (e.g. FITC-conj goat anti-rabbit (1:1000) or Biotinylated isotype specific anti mouse for immunoperoxidase staining). Wash as before.
- To minimize quenching of flourochrome mount with Vectashield (Vector labs) and cover with a glass slip.