For many years, New Mexicans facing cancer had to travel out of state to get quality cancer diagnosis and treatment. No more. The UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center has the talent, resources and technical expertise to give New Mexicans the world-class cancer care they deserve. Our team of doctors and cancer specialists work side-by-side to design individualized treatment plans and deliver them to our patients in a compassionate, culturally-sensitive way.
The UNM Cancer Center is:
- One of only 47 cancer centers in the United States to achieve Comprehensive designation by the National Cancer Institute.
- Recognized by the New Mexico State Legislature as the state’s official cancer center and received special commendation from the State Legislature in 2003 and 2005.
- Home to New Mexico’s largest team of cancer specialists with 130 board-certified oncology physicians representing every cancer specialty. Our doctors hail from such prestigious institutions as MD Anderson, Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic.
- On the leading edge of cancer research. Our 130 scientists from places like Harvard, MIT and Memorial Sloan-Kettering, are supported by almost $60 million in federal, state and private funding, and are recognized throughout the nation for their breakthrough research in genomics, leukemia, nanotechnology, radioisotopes and drug discovery.
- Partnering with Sandia National Laboratories, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute and New Mexico State University to find cures for cancer.
- Building a statewide cancer care network with collaborative clinical programs in Las Cruces (with Memorial Medical Center), Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Farmington. We are developing new collaborative programs in Alamogordo and in Roswell/Carlsbad.
- Expanding our $100 million, 206,432 sq. ft. state-of-the-art Cancer Treatment and Clinical Research Facility to bring new cancer diagnostic and treatment modalities to New Mexico. We will introduce or expand 11 cancer programs in the near future.